Monday, April 11, 2011

ZT-180 My Battery MOD

Hello All
I was looking for a good battery to upgrade my ZT-180 but was very difficult to find. Finallly I have the battery and I did the MOD to the tablet.

Fist of all. The battery didnt come with a connector. So I opened up my tablet and removed the original battery. Then, I cut off the connector and soldered it to the new battery. The new battery is 4000mAH instaed of the 2500mAh original battery, but the new battery is longer and wider than the original, thickness is 8mm. It comes with built-in charge balance and protection circuit, so only needs charging using the two supplied wires.

So I put in the new battery and try to close the lid but the battery "holder plastic" on the bottom plate of the tablet did not allow the tablet to close. So with a help of a sharp blade and some cutters, I cut the excess plastic out of the way and  WOW, it closed.

I gave it some initial test and it surely seems to last much longer than the original. Howmuch longer I will not be able to know because I did not measure the original battery.

I am trying to include some pictures here, but not sure how they will actually come out to be.
Please note:
1. I have removed my internal bluetooth becasue it broke. So it may have been easier for me to fit the battery in
2. there is a slight bulge in the botton of the tablet as shown in the picture

Hope OK

Hi Teslabe
I followed your test for battery life. I was running out of patience so I just charged the battery to 95%. Pushing in the last 5% of charge just takes too long.
Put brightness to 100%, volume to max, no Wifi (actually my wifi is broken),  and then ran a movie continously on it. It ran it for 5 hours and 40 minutes, that is very close to your results with your 4000mAH battery. I will now charge it agin to 95% and run same movie continously at 30% brightness and see if results are still close.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lithium-Polymer-4000mAH-7-4V-30WH-battery-/220715578720

OK
here is a quick "HOW TO"

1. Turn off table and Remove microSD from its socket
2. Open the ZT-180 http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+open+zt-180&aq=f
3. cut the old battery wire. Picture "battery 0"
4. solder the new battery to the connector - red to red, black to black. Use cable heat shink or insulation tape on the contacts. Picture "battery 4"
5. Cut the plastic edges on the base plate as in picutre "battery 1"
6. use thin double sided sticky tape , (most pound marts, dollar shops like places do them). stick the battery to the base plate as in "battery 3"
7. Plug the connector into the socket
8. before closing the case, do a quick check to see if the connections are OK, by switching on the tablet.
9. If all OK slowly close the tablet and see that it does not press hard on to any components or sharp edges etc. If its pushing on to something then use some foam tape to protect it. The battery is in a metalic looking pouch but it is not metal and can easily be punctured, resulting in excessive heat, explosion and expulsion of hazardous materail. So it is absolutly important to protect the battery from bending, breaking, or getting punctured etc. I.e, read up on saftey points. Again.. its very important
10. Relevant to point 9, I did not have wifi in my tablet when I did the MOD, so if you have wifi and its hitting the battery you wil have to move it slightly towards the edge.

11. The battery has built in protection circuit and charge balancing PCB so you dont need any extra circuits for it.

Any question/suggestions please do ask. I'll ammend the post accordingly










No comments:

Post a Comment